Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Sincere Autowala in Delhi who returned the laptop of one of his passengers


We often tend to blame the autodrivers that they dont come wherever we want to go, they ask for extra money, they drive very rashly, etc etc., Here is one among such auto driver who sincerely went to the commuter's house and returned the laptop they forgot in his auto. Not all the autodrivers are bad.
Read On..

A Delhi businesswoman on Thursday gave a reward of Rs.20,000 to an honest auto rickshaw driver who returned her the laptop she had left behind in his vehicle.

"I returned the laptop to the passenger, and I am happy that I have done the duty of a good citizen," said Rakesh Kumar, the autorickshaw driver.

The passenger, Pooja Chandra, was overwhelmed by his honesty. She said: "I never expected to meet such an honest auto rickshaw driver. I was very worried as the laptop bag also contained a bank passbook, which apparently helped the driver to locate my house."

She added, "though people often malign autorickshaw drivers, all of them are not dishonest. This was proven after Rakesh Kumar returned my laptop."

The incident took place Wednesday night when Pooja Chandra was in search of an autorickshaw near Savitri cinema in south Delhi. She flagged Rakesh Kumar's vehicle and sat in it. When Chandra said she wanted to go to Khanpur, Kumar expressed his inability to take her as it was a distance away and it was time to return home to his family.

However, Kumar took care to put her in another autorickshaw. But in the process, Chandra forgot her laptop in Kumar's auto.

After reaching home, Chandra realised her laptop was in Kumar's vehicle and spent a sleepless night. In the morning, her husband Kishor Chandra contacted Rakesh Agarwal, secretary of NyayaBhoomi, an NGO that works with autorickshaw drivers. Agarwal discussed ways of locating the autorickshaw. He suggested posting a notice on the backs of autorickshaws.

However, before they could take any such step, to his surprise Kishor Chandra received a visitor at 1.30 p.m. Thursday.

It was Rakesh Kumar, the auto driver, along with the laptop. He explained that the bank passbook in the laptop bag had helped him reach their home.

Incidentally, Rakesh Kumar is also a member of NyayaBhoomi, an organization that works for the welfare of autorickshaw drivers and passengers.

"Rakesh Kumar's deed should be a source of inspiration for the citizens of Delhi in general, and for all auto drivers of Delhi in particular. Such acts fill our heart with warmth," said Rakesh Agarwal.

"The laptop contained invaluable data which was critical for running our business. Even the backup pen drive was in the same bag in which the laptop was kept. Thanks to Rakesh Kumar, auto drivers will always occupy a special place in our hearts now," said Chandra.

She gave an award of Rs.20,000 to Rakesh Kumar. Initially, Kumar politely declined to accept it but on her insistence he accepted the money.

Rakesh Agarwal said he would recommend the name of Rakesh Kumar for a suitable honour and prize to the Delhi administration.

Source: news.in.msn.com, 18/09/2009

7 comments:

  1. I was in an auto once with a gem of a driver, an old man who didn't think it necessary to speak much. We were right in front and he held up the entire traffic behind us by standing still (though our signal had turned green) to let an ambulance go past from the adjacent road at a 4-way junction. The so-called learned folks in bikes and cars behind kept honking...they were so lost in the red-changing-to-green and couldn't care less about an ambulance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah..I have also come across few good autowala's off late..Good to see the change :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes some are good.

    Read my blog about Delhi. You may find it interesting.

    www.omgdelhi.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not everyone is same.

    You must read this.
    http://nupedailynews.com/share/author/windows-guru

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In this age, it is difficult to find honest auto drivers in a city like delhi. I boarded an auto from pacific mall subhash nagar to pitampura. The auto driver was middle aged but very polite to speak to and probably that was the reason I boarded his auto. During the journey he said he believed in earning what he deserve, all thanks to God's blessing. He addressed me as beta throughout the journey and I found him like my grandfather. I was carrying 4 shopping bags and while getting down at my place I forgot to pick one of the bags which was containing articles worth Rs 3500 and didn't note his license number as well. As soon I realized this, I went to search for the auto in my locality in the hope he might be nearby and I could get my stuff back. After getting no success I returned back home disappointed and assumed my stuff is gone.After 20-30 mins or so my doorbell rang. I rushed to my gate and there he was alongside my neighbour. Apparently he forgot my address and was searching the entire locality for me and bumped into my neighbour and they rang my doorbell as their last option. We all were so touched by his gesture and asked him to come inside so that we could thank him properly. But he simply refused and said that he was doing what God has taught him to. I was rendered speechless. After much effort, we were finally able to give him some cash as reward for his gesture. I am really thankful to him from the bottom of my heart and this act of him strengthened my faith in humanity and in extinct qualities like honesty in people of Delhi.

    ReplyDelete